Spring Deadline - Friday, February 17, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Made possible by a generous gift from Dale S. Strohl ’58, the Office of the Vice Provost for Research and the College of Arts and Sciences offers funding to encourage students to engage in independent inquiry, artistic creation, and scholarship, under faculty supervision. The Dale S. Strohl ’58 Awards support research in the Humanities and Social Sciences for students working with any Lehigh faculty member. These grants are intended to expand the experiences, perspectives, and skills of our students through involvement in research. Travel, research supplies and other valid expenses may be reimbursed up to the limit of an individual grant. Proposed research projects must be independent and outside the requirements of a Lehigh-led study abroad experience, summer course, or other formalized experience. During the academic year, undergraduate research grants may fund up to $3,000, or up to $5,000 for Senior Thesis projects. Research should be completed within one year of receipt of the award or prior to graduation. The grant recipient will then submit a brief report on the results of the project and participate in the Undergraduate Poster Symposium held annually in the Fall.
Applications online will include:
- Abstract (a brief statement that describes the project)
- Detailed proposal, up to 1,000 words, which includes the objective and approach of the proposed activity, the relevance to the student’s educational goals, and a time-line for completion.
- Description of final product. Final product can be a research paper or report, a publication, a conference presentation or poster, art exhibit, etc
- Budget, including any additional sources of funding.
- Student’s background and qualifications for the proposed project.
- Project Faculty Advisor – Statement of recommendation by the project's faculty advisor
As with all research conducted at Lehigh, conduct of research must adhere to University policies, including those pertaining to human subjects, vertebrate animals, and hazardous materials. Faculty supervisors, as part of the normal pedagogical relationship, will provide guidance on university and professional standards, regulations, and policies. Please see research policies located on the Research Integrity website: https://research.cc.lehigh.edu/research-integrity
Undergraduate Research involving Travel:
Should your proposal involve international travel
- Include a $50 registration fee in your budget for trips up to 6 weeks
- Include a $100 registration fee in your budget for trips longer than 6 weeks
This registration enrolls you in the Lehigh University Student International Services and Insurance Program.